Area of expertise: infectious diseases and immunology in children
Appointed in 2006 as a paediatric immunology and infectious diseases (PIID) consultant at Evelina London, Dr Esse Menson developed the PIID service here. This complements the PIID unit at St George’s Hospital, with whom Esse maintains an honorary consultant contract.
Esse's clinical work covers general children's medicine, HIV, PIID, primary and secondary immunodeficiency, also Kawasaki disease jointly with a paediatric cardiologist. She has a strong commitment to undergraduate and postgraduate training, leading the PIID clinical research portfolio.
Her additional activities include:
- HIV workshops in South Africa
- innovations in improving children’s adherence to medication across diseases
- early recognition and management of conflicts in children's healthcare.
- 1986: BSc Hons Biological Sciences, immunology and genetics
- 1989: DPhil through research in schistosoma vaccine development – University of York
- 1994: MBChB – University of Bristol
- 1999: MRCPCH UK
- 2006: paediatric infectious diseases and HIV specialist training – London
- BPAIIG (British Paediatric Allergy, Immunology and Infection Group) member
- CHIVA (Children’s HIV Association) secretary
- infectious diseases in children
- HIV care (children and adolescents)
- primary and secondary immunodeficiencies in children (in particular Di George syndrome)
- infection control and prevention
- outpatient antibiotic therapy
- antimicrobial stewardship
- Kawasaki disease
- international and global child health education.
The paediatric infectious diseases/immunology service regularly welcomes European/international clinical fellows for periods of two to four months to enhance their training in their specialty at a tertiary level.
If you are interested, please email email@example.com.
- studies optimising HIV medications regimens for children
- optimising vaccination in HIV-infected children
- neonatal and paediatric vaccine studies
- childhood meningitis and encephalitis
- children’s adherence to medication across diseases.
- 1986: MBChB – Victor Neale Paediatrics Prize Proxime Accessit
- 1986: MBChB – Ian Pierce James Prize in Mental Health
- 1989: DPhil – K.M. Stott Prize for best thesis
- 2012: Guy's and St Thomas' People’s Award
Download a list of Dr Esse Menson's publications