Mr Gavin Spence has been a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at Evelina London since 2009.
He works in a multidisciplinary team with expertise in the treatment of congenital and acquired bone and joint problems affecting children, including injuries.
He works closely with colleagues in other specialities as many of our patients have multiple complex medical needs.
Mr Spence has a particular interest in the treatment of complex limb deformities with external fixators ('frames'), and is the orthopaedic surgeon to the skeletal dysplasia service.
- Undergraduate training in Cambridge and London
- MSc (Orth) at Institute of Orthopaedics, Stanmore
- Higher surgical training in East Anglia
- MD at Orthopaedic Research Unit, University of Cambridge
- Fellowship training in London (Great Ormond Street Hospital and Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore) and Australia (Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia).
- Orthopaedic aspects of neuromuscular disease
- Limb reconstruction including limb lengthening
- Paediatric fractures.
- Novel biomaterials and their applications in orthopaedics
- New methods of deformity assessment and treatment.
- 2007: Arthur Edward Burton Memorial Prize
- 2009: IPOS Travelling Scholarship
- 2013: Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust - 'Dragon’s Den' Fit for the Future Award.
Download a list of Mr Gavin Spence's publications