Area of expertise: children's ophthalmology and strabismus
Languages spoken: Spanish and English
Mr Luis Amaya sub-specialised in children's ophthalmology and strabismus at Great Ormond Street Hospital and then practised as a consultant in South America for 10 years where he was the head of the Department of Ophthalmology at a teaching children's hospital.
Luis was appointed associate professor of two universities there. He has been a consultant in the UK since 2001. His main speciality is children's ophthalmology and strabismus and phacoemulsification surgery. He has broad experience in ocular trauma and retinopathy of prematurity.
Luis has also published important papers and contributed to outstanding medical books, ie chapters for David Taylor's 'Paediatric Ophthalmology'.
- children's ophthalmology in general
- retinopathy of prematurity
- strabismus in children and adjustable sutures in adult strabismus
- children's cataracts
- children's ocular trauma.
- discretionary points Maidstone Hospital
- associate professor Rosario University, Bogota, Colombia
- honorary senior lecturer King’s College.