Inspections by the Care Quality Commission
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the organisation responsible for ensuring that health and social care services in England – including hospitals, care homes, dental practices and GP surgeries – provide safe, high-quality care.
The CQC regularly checks services to ensure they meet national standards for quality and safety, and is in the course of introducing new-style inspections which will rate services as outstanding, good, requiring improvement or inadequate.
What is the standard?
The national standards are set by Parliament and can be found on the CQC website.
How are we doing?
CQC inspectors visited our hospital and community services from 7-10 September 2015 as part of the review of Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
Evelina London Children’s Hospital was rated as ‘outstanding’ whilst Evelina London community services were rated as ‘good’.
We were the first children’s hospital to have been rated as ‘outstanding’ and our community services rated in the top 33% of children’s community services nationally.
Here’s what the CQC had to say about us:
Evelina London Children’s Hospital
- We rated the care provided as outstanding. Patient feedback unanimously supported this. Children and families were treated with compassion, dignity and respect.
- Complaints and concerns were taken seriously. They were responded to promptly to achieve resolution. Feedback was actively sought from parents, children and young people about their current care experience.
- We found leadership in Evelina London Children’s Hospital to be outstanding.
Evelina London Community Services
- The Trust’s community health services for children, young people and families provided effective care and treatment.
- People using community services were treated with dignity and respect. They were well-informed and involved in the decisions and plans of care.
- Staff were proud of their achievements.
The CQC inspectors also identified some areas for improvement which the Trust recognises it needs to address.
You can read the full report for Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust on the CQC website.