Area of expertise: children’s emergency medicine
John was appointed as a consultant paediatrician based in the children’s emergency department in 2004.
He is a keen advocate for children in emergency departments and is a committee member of the RCPCH/CEM intercollegiate committee for children in emergency care settings which advises on standards of care for children in the emergency department.
John has worked in partnership with the Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity on a reducing youth violence strategy which includes provision of a youth worker liaison service in the emergency department at St Thomas’.
John is currently working with the charity to fund improvements to the environment in the emergency department for both children and adult patients.
John trained at King’s College London and hospitals in Central London and the south east of England.
- children’s emergency medicine
- standards of care for children in emergency departments
- hospital-based violence reduction projects
- clinical research based in the emergency department.
John has an active interest in research and led several multicentre research studies in the children’s emergency deptartment:
- nebulised magnesium treatment for severe asthma
- diagnosis of urinary tract infections
- interventions aiming to help young people who drink alcohol
- IV treatments for epilepsy.