Area of expertise: children's emergency medicine
Dr Nicola McDonald has been a consultant at Evelina London since 2004. She specialises in children’s emergency medicine and is based in the emergency department (A&E). She has been clinical lead for the children’s emergency department since 2008.
Dr McDonald studied medicine at Guy’s and St Thomas’ United Medical and Dental Schools, qualifying in 1994. She trained as a children's doctor and then further specialised in children’s emergency medicine.
She has spent time as a Children’s Acute Transport Service (CATS) fellow before taking up her consultant post. She completed fellowships in paediatric retrievals and intensive care in Australia and paediatric trauma in South Africa.
- MB BS, BSc (first class honours) – Guy’s and St Thomas’ United Medical and Dental Schools, London
- MRCPCH - London
- Fellow, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- MSc (distinction) – London.
- Paediatric trauma and major incident management
- START senior assessor, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH)
- Editor and lead for paediatric emergency medicine, ENLIGHTENme project (electronic learning initiative for emergency medicine), Royal College of Emergency Medicine
- Advanced trauma life support (ATLS) and advanced paediatric life support (APLS) instructor