Area of expertise: minimally invasive upper gastrointestinal and thoracic surgery.
Iain trained in children's (paediatric) surgery in Nottingham, Liverpool and Manchester, entering the specialist register in 2013.
Before taking up his substantive post at Evelina London Children’s Hospital he worked as a locum consultant in two other major children's surgical centres
In addition to his clinical training, he has extensive experience of health care management and leadership, with a particular focus on patient safety, through working with the Chief Medical Officer and World Health Organisation.
In 2011 he was selected to be an NHS Leadership Academy Clinical Leadership Fellow.
- 2013: MSc in Public Health and Health Service Management –London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- 2012: Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership and Service Improvement – Manchester Business School
- 2011: FRCS (Paed Surgery)
- 2009: Postgraduate Certificate Teaching and Learning in Clinical Practice – Edgehill University.
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery
- Thoracic and thoracoscopic surgery
- Patient safety.
- Clinical paediatric surgery
- Patient safety.
- 2012: Adrian Tanner Prize – Royal Society of Medicine, Surgery Section
- 2010: NPSA Patient Safety Prize – National Patient Safety Agency
- 2006: Presentation Prize – North West Paediatric Surgeons Meeting
- 2004: Glaxo Travelling Fellowship – Royal Society of Medicine, Surgery Section
- 2000: Distinction in Clinical Medicine – University of Southampton
- 2000: Newitt Memorial Prize Best Performance in Final BM –University of Southampton
- 1999: Sandy Powell Memorial Prize in Immediate Care – University of Southampton.
Download a list of Iain Yardley's publications (PDF 112Kb).