Mr Harry Powell is an ear, nose and throat (ENT) consultant surgeon in both children's services at Evelina London and adult services at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
Having been inspired into ENT as a medical student and house officer at Guy’s and St Thomas’, Harry undertook basic surgical training in Bristol, followed by specialist training at several prestigious London teaching hospitals.
He was awarded the Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship and two Royal College of Surgeons grants for advanced surgical training in ear surgery and auditory implantation in Sydney, Australia, where he developed an interest in endoscopic ear surgery.
Harry returned to Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust as the otology and auditory implant fellow and was subsequently appointed as a consultant in September 2016.
- ENT specialist registrar training:
- Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital
- Great Ormond Street Hospital
- The Royal Marsden
- Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship:
- Sydney Cochlear Implant Centre
- Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney
- Otology and auditory implant fellow:
- Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- hearing implants (cochlear, middle ear and bone anchored solutions)
- otology and neuro-otology (surgery for ear disease and peripheral balance disorders)
- auditory rehabilitation in mircotia/atresia
- endoscopic ear surgery
- quality of life and quality of hearing in otosclerosis
- outcomes and quality of life after auditory implantation
- the association of cognitive decline with hearing loss
- Royal Society of Medicine, Otology section short papers prize, 2016
- Alice Maud Hall Prize for BACO, 2015
- Combined Universities temporal bone dissection prize, 2015
- Award from the College Family Memorial Fellowship Fund, 2013
- Award from the Ethicon Foundation Fund, 2013
- Winner – UCL Battle of the Surgeons, 2013
- Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship award
- Alice Maud Hall Prize for overseas observership, 2011
- Audit prize, Southend University Hospital research and audit day, 2010
- Royal Society of Medicine, Ian Mackay Essay Prize, 2009-10