Our children's community nutrition and dietetic service is made up of two sub services:
- a clinical service – providing a dietitian for children with special needs
- a non-clinical service – consisting of early years community dietitians, nutritionists, community food workers and a Vitamin D coordinator who work with children and families aged 0-4 years.
Our children's dietitians and dietetic assistants help to improve the nutrition of children with special needs across the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark. They also work with parents and carers, and staff at special needs schools and other teams.
This service offers:
- a dietetic and feeding clinic at Livity School and Michael Tippet School
- a neurodisability feeding clinic at the Mary Sheridan Centre and Sunshine House
- training for parents and health professionals.
Our team of early years community dietitians, nutritionists and community food workers work with parents, carers and local partners as well as children's centres staff in across Lambeth and Southwark.
They focus on specific aspects of the childhood obesity programme, and their mission is to improve the nutrition of children between 0-4 years old and their families by:
- raising awareness of the importance of breastfeeding and general nutrition for babies and toddlers
- contributing to the prevention of obesity and common nutritional problems in this age group.
Our team also:
- offer 'Introduction to solids' sessions to help weaning
- run practical cooking sessions for children and their families.
Free vitamin D
The vitamin D scheme provides free supplements across Lambeth and Southwark for children.
Vitamin D is important in helping children develop healthy bones and teeth.
The scheme is available to:
- pregnant women
- breastfeeding mothers until their child is one year old
- all children under four living in Lambeth or Southwark
For more information, please talk to your GP, midwife, health visitor or local pharmacist. You can also find out more about this service from our vitamin D leaflet (PDF 182Kb).
Starting solid food sessions
We run sessions across Lambeth and Southwark to help you introduce solid food to your baby. Find a session near you by downloading our What's On calendars:
Nutrition advice across Southwark
Come along to a 'Stay and Play' session in Southwark and meet a children’s dietitian for nutrition advice (PDF 489KB). You can discuss any issues you may have around feeding your child.
We run sessions where you can learn how to make tasty and nutritious recipes with your child. Find a session near you by downloading our nutrition events calendars:
Cook and eat well course
Join a six week family healthy eating course (PDF 252Kb).