Our community children's nutrition and dietetic service is a dynamic team of experts working to support local families with good nutrition.
Early years public health service
Our team of community food workers, nutritionists and dietitians work with parents and carers of the under-fives, children’s centres and local partners across Lambeth and Southwark. We work in partnership with local councils on relevant strategies, projects and consultations. We provide nutrition training to other early years professionals.
We offer workshops, courses and nutrition advice drop-in sessions in children's centres that are open to everyone.
- Virtual starting solid food sessions. In this 60 minute workshop (PDF 82Kb) you will learn about starting and progressing with solid foods with your baby in a practical and friendly session with an expert.
- Cook and eat well courses. Come and cook tasty, healthy meals, learn about food from different cultures, meet other families in your area, learn about nutrition and gain new cooking skills.
- Healthy families right from the start (HENRY) is an eight week course which helps parents with children under 5 gain the confidence, knowledge and skills they need to help the whole family adopt a healthier, happier lifestyle and to give their children a great start in life. The Healthy Families course focuses on supporting good nutrition, breastfeeding, physical activity, emotional well-being and parenting skills in a fun and supportive group
Cook and Eat Well courses in Lambeth and Southwark
Cook and Eat Well courses aim to develop parents’ skills and knowledge in cooking and healthy eating. Dates coming soon.
Free vitamin D
The vitamin D scheme provides free universal supplementation of the vitamin D in the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark. It is non-means tested and it aims to promote the uptake of Healthy Start vitamins as well as raise awareness of the programme in the community and hospitals.
As a pregnant women you will find out and get your first supply of vitamins from your midwife. Then you will be signed post to register with the pharmacy.
Your health visitor will provide you with your first bottle of vitamins for your new born on their birth visit and also sign post you to register if haven’t done already.
The scheme is available to:
For more information, please talk to your GP, midwife, health visitor or local pharmacist. You can also find out more about this service from our vitamin D leaflet (PDF 182Kb)
Learn more about Vitamin D in Lambeth and Southwark on our Community Food Workers Facebook page.
Our children's dietitians and dietetic assistant help to improve the nutrition of children with special needs across the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark. They work with parents and carers, and staff at special needs schools and other teams.
This service offers:
- dietetic clinics at special needs schools in Lambeth and Southwark
- dietetic input for the community behavioural feeding clinics at the Mary Sheridan Centre and Sunshine House
- training for parents and health professionals
- weight management parent only group sessions for parents of children with special needs at Gracefield Gardens Health and Social Care Centre and Sunshine House Child Development Centre
We accept referrals to our clinical service only.