Our community children's nutrition and dietetic service is a dynamic team of experts working to support local families. Our team includes specialist paediatric dietitians, advanced dietetic assistants, early year’s nutritionist and vitamin D coordinator.
Our service in Lambeth and Southwark
Our dietitians and dietetic assistants help to improve the nutrition of children with special educational needs and disabilities across the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark. They work with parents and carers, other healthcare professionals as well as staff at special schools and other teams. If you are interested in learning more, please email: EnquiriesNutritiondieteticscommunitypaeds@gstt.nhs.uk
- dietetic clinics at special schools and health centres in Lambeth and Southwark
- dietetic intervention for the community behavioural feeding clinics at Mary Sheridan Centre and Sunshine House
- training for health professionals
- ‘Food Friends!’, which is a weight management programme, that consist of group sessions to parents of children with special needs. These sessions are held virtually via Microsoft Teams
- targeted group sessions, such as ‘Positive Mealtimes virtual programme. This evidence-based intervention is designed to support parents and carers experiencing difficult mealtimes for children aged 18 months to 3 years old.
Our team only accepts referrals from health care professionals.
Free vitamin D
The vitamin D scheme provides vitamin D supplements - Healthy Start vitamin Drops and Tablets in the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark. This programme is not means-tested and open to all. We also promote the uptake of National Health Start scheme. We raise awareness of the programme in the community and hospitals.
Pregnant women can get their first supply of vitamins from their midwife. Afterwards, they will be signposted to register with participating pharmacy in either Lambeth or Southwark.
Health visitors will provide the first bottle of vitamins for new-born babies during their new birth visit and can give information about how to register at a participating pharmacy.
The scheme is available to:
- pregnant women
- new mothers until their child is one year old
- all children under four living in Lambeth or Southwark
More information about the vitamin D scheme
Lambeth vitamin D scheme
Southwark vitamin D scheme
For more information, please talk to your GP, midwife, health visitor or local pharmacist.