Our children's community nutrition and dietetic service is made up of two sub services:
- a clinical service – providing a dietitian for children with special needs
- a non-clinical service – consisting of early years community dietitians, nutritionists, community food workers and a Vitamin D coordinator who work with children and families aged 0-4 years.
Our children's dietitians help to improve the nutrition of children with special needs in Lambeth. They also work with parents and carers, and staff at special needs schools and other teams at the Mary Sheridan Centre.
This service offers:
- a dietetic and feeding clinic at Livity School and Michael Tippet School
- a neurodisability feeding clinic at the Mary Sheridan Centre and Sunshine House
- home visits
- training for parents and health professionals.
Our team of early years community dietitians, nutritionists and community food workers work with parents, carers and local partners as well as children's centres staff in across Lambeth and Southwark.
They focus on specific aspects of the childhood obesity programme, and their mission is to improve the nutrition of children between 0-4 years old and their families by:
- raising awareness of the importance of breastfeeding and general nutrition for babies and toddlers
- contributing to the prevention of obesity and common nutritional problems in this age group.
Our team also:
Free vitamin D
The vitamin D scheme provides free supplements across Lambeth and Southwark for children. Vitamin D is important in helping children develop healthy bones and teeth.
The scheme is available to:
- pregnant women
- breastfeeding mothers until their child is one year old
- all children under four living in Lambeth or Southwark
For more information, please talk to your GP, midwife, health visitor or local pharmacist. You can also find out more about this service from our vitamin D leaflet (PDF 182Kb).
Introduction to solid food sessions
We run sessions across Lambeth and Southwark to help you introduce solid food to your baby. Find a session near you by downloading our What's On calendars:
Lambeth (PDF 228Kb)
Southwark (PDF 292Kb)
We run sessions across Lambeth and Southwark where you can learn how to make tasty and nutritious recipes with your child. Find a session near you by downloading our nutrition events calendars:
Lambeth (PDF 286Kb)
Southwark (PDF 288Kb)