Dr Michael Farquhar trained in general paediatrics, respiratory medicine and sleep medicine at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children (Glasgow), Nottingham Children's Hospital, The Children's Hospital at Westmead (Sydney), Sydney Children's Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital (London).
Dr Farquhar has been a consultant in sleep medicine at Evelina London since 2012. He works in both the general and hypersomnia clinics, and the diagnostics sleep study service. He also works with other departments to assist colleagues in caring for children experiencing sleep difficulties due to complex medical issues.
Dr Farquhar is also involved in educating healthcare professionals on the importance of sleep, with a focus on sleep for staff working night shifts. External departments wishing to request teaching in these areas should contact Dr Farquhar's secretaries to discuss this.
Dr Farquhar is a member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, The British Paediatric Sleep Association, the British Sleep Society, the European Sleep Research Society and the British Paediatric Respiratory Society.
- 1997: BSc (Hons0 (Medical Sciences, Psychology) – University of Edinburgh
- 2000: MBChB – University of Edinburgh
- 2005: MRCPCH
- Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow
- Nottingham Children's Hospital
- The Children's Hospital at Westmead, Sydney
- Sydney Children's Hospital
- Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
- sleep disordered breathing and use of long-term ventilation
- Kleine-Levin Syndrome
- sleep medicine education for healthcare professionals
- circadian rhythm abnormalities
- improving approaches to night shift working
- sleep disordered breathing
- impact of shift working on performance