Area of expertise: heart catheterisation and adult congenital heart disease
Languages spoken: English, Urdu, Punjabi
Professor Shakeel Qureshi trained in children's heart services (paediatric cardiology) at Harefield, Guy's and Liverpool Hospitals. He was first appointed consultant at Liverpool in 1987 and consultant paediatric cardiologist/senior lecturer at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in 1988.
Professor Qureshi is involved with earthquake relief work in Kashmir, charity fundraising for building houses in Kashmir and Indonesia and other medical charity missions. He is also on the Chain of Hope medical board.
- Interventional paediatric cardiology (keyhole surgery techniques)
- Adult congenital heart disease.
- Developing or evaluating devices for treating congenital heart defects
- Involved in evaluating a new percutaneous pulmonary valve
- Co-inventor of Tyshak balloon.
- Sitara-e-Imtiaz (one of the highest civil awards) by the Pakistan Government for services to medicine in 2004
- PICS Outstanding Achievement award (judged by the profession) in Chicago in 2004.