What is the reference group?
We need to expand our hospital so that we can care for more children and young adults. Our plan is to build a new, taller building right next to our existing hospital.
The reference group is a group of people who will oversee the work that we do to make sure we involve patients and families in our plans. This group will be the Evelina London Expansion Children and Families Reference Group.
Who can apply to join the group?
You can apply to join the reference group if:
- you are over 13 year’s old and are currently receiving care at Evelina London or Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals
- you have recently moved to adult services but have received care at Evelina London in the last three years
- you are the parent or carer of a current or former Evelina London patient or Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals children’s services patient
- you have not been a member of staff at Evelina London or Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust in the last three years (there will be other ways for staff to be involved).
How to apply
If you would like to apply or would like more information, email ELCHEngagement@gstt.nhs.uk
What will this group do?
Members of our group will work alongside other patients and parents or carers from Evelina London and The Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals; clinicians; and representatives of local charities and voluntary sector organisations. The group will:
- give advice to the Evelina London expansion team to inform the programme (all the work that goes into planning and building new building)
- help us plan how to involve children and families in designing the building
- sometimes take part in engagement activities to make sure that the group continues to reflect the patient voice
- help us to review feedback from our engagement activities to make sure everyone’s views are considered in the design
- make sure that the outcomes of engagement are fed back into the expansion team and considered and/or acted upon
- represent the Evelina London Expansion Children and Families Reference Group at other meetings, if required.
Involving Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals
In February 2021, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, including Evelina London, merged with Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals. This brought together world-leading expertise in the care and research of heart and lung disease for adults and children. Involving patients and families from Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals in our plans will help make sure that our new hospital building meets the needs of all of our patients.
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, including Evelina London Children's Hospital and Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals, and our partners King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust have also been working together since 2017 to explore ways to transform heart and lung disease care for patients, from before birth to old age. Part of this work includes proposals to bring together some children’s services within Evelina London’s new building. This is subject to public consultation, which means giving people the opportunity to respond to plans and tell NHS England what they think. You can find out more about this work and how to get involved on the Guy’s and St Thomas’ website.