How do I get an appointment?
Your child can be referred to our service by a health, education or social care professional looking after them.
They will assess your child's needs and refer them to our service, subject to them meeting our referral criteria.
Changing or cancelling your appointment
If you need to change or cancel your appointment, please contact us.
Please try to give 24 hours notice so that we can offer your appointment to another patient.
Before your appointment
Please bring your child's current communication system, even if it is broken.
This could be low-tech systems (for example an alphabet chart or a communication book), hi-tech systems (for example iPad, Grid Pad Pro), or both.
What to expect at your appointment
During your child's first appointment:
- We will review and discuss the information sent to us about your child, to make sure we're able to meet their needs in the most effective way.
- We would like your child to show us how they communicate – this will help us to review the areas your child needs support with, as well as their areas of strength. It also helps us see where we can help to support the people your child communicates with.
- We will explore with your child how best we might meet their communication needs.
- We may ask your child to try different communication systems, including devices, that may best meet your needs.
- We will then discuss next steps with you.
Appointments usually last approximately one and a half to two hours.
The team consists of speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, a technician and a rehabilitation engineer. You may see one or all depending on your child's needs.
A key community therapist is ideally in place throughout the assessment process. They will provide regular support to your child and monitor the use of the equipment.
After your appointment
Follow-up arrangements will be made with the team during your child's appointment or by phone afterwards.
You and whoever referred your child will receive a summary report of your appointment.
We may ask your child to trial one of our devices at home for a period of time. After the trial period, we'll decide if the device is suitable for your child's needs – if so, we'll provide them with the device.
If you have any questions, you can also call/email your therapist or contact our administrator on 020 3049 7751 / email@example.com