Who can refer
We accept referrals throughout the UK for paediatric deep brain stimulation and we are a regional centre (London and South Thames) for intrathecal baclofen pump implants.
How to refer
Please send written referrals to the complex motor disorders assessment and management service using the contact details provided on this page. Referrals should be from the paediatrician or paediatric neurologist managing the case with:
- a summary of the clinical course
- previous management and dystonia / movement disorder investigations
- a supportive letter from the GP
- an up-to-date assessment report by the multidisciplinary team.
The complex motor disorders service will contact the family with a preliminary questionnaire and details of their first appointment, which will take place at Evelina London.
There are three treatment stages:
- diagnosis and assessment – clinical assessments, diagnostic investigations and pre-surgical planning with the neurosurgeons
- neurosurgery and immediate postoperative care – procedure at King's College Hospital, followed by management at Evelina London
- post surgical follow-up – management of ITB or DBS systems.