Ingredients to make 6 muffins
75g self-raising flour.
75g of your child’s usual dairy free margarine.
75g caster sugar.
1 large egg whisked.
50g skimmed milk powder e.g. Marvel. Please note this needs to be sieved into the mixture.
70mls of your child’s usual dairy free milk alternative.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Cream the dairy free margarine and the sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the whisked egg to the mixture and slowly fold in the self-raising flour
4. Slowly fold in the sieved skimmed milk powder, this is important to ensure there are no clumps of milk powder in the fairy cakes.
5. Add 70mls of your child’s usual dairy free milk alternative
6. Spoon the mixture into 6 paper muffin cases sitting in a muffin tin.
7. Cook for approximately 20 minutes until risen and bouncy to touch or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Adapting to make recipe wheat-free: Use 75g of wheat-free self-raising flour (e.g. Doves Farm*, Orgran*) instead of wheat flour. Or 75g wheat-free plain flour (e.g, Doves Farm*, Orgran*) + two teaspoons of gluten free baking powder*.
Adapting to make recipe egg-free: Replace the 1 large egg with one teaspoon of baking powder and one small mashed ripe banana or 5 teaspoons of pureed fruits (e.g. prunes, apple, pear puree) *Please check these ingredients to make sure that your child has previously eaten and tolerated them.
These muffins may be made and frozen in advance of your child’s baked milk challenge. To defrost, take out of the freezer at least two hours before the challenge appointment time. If you want to make these into chocolate muffins – swap 15g of the flour for 15g cocoa powder and mix them together.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact 020 7188 3300 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).