Fifth floor, Evelina London Children’s Hospital.
Directions: take the Red Moon lift (lift B). This is at the far end of the hospital beyond the helter-skelter.
Mountain ward specialises in surgical care, and includes our High Dependency Unit (HDU) – for children who need more intensive observation and nursing care than is possible in a general ward but slightly less than that given in intensive care.
Information for visitors
- Parents can visit their child at any time.
- Visiting hours for all other visitors are 10am-8pm – please try to avoid visiting around mealtimes so children can eat uninterrupted.
- No more than two visitors per bed at once.
- Visiting children must be supervised by an adult.
- Please be quiet in the evenings.
- If you need to use a mobile phone, please do so in the parents’ room.
- Always clean your hands with alcohol gel when you enter or leave the ward to reduce the risk of infection.
- If you have been in contact with someone who has chicken pox, speak to the nurse in charge before entering the ward. Some of the children are very sensitive to infections.
- Please speak to your nurse about visiting if you have symptoms of cold or flu, or have diarrhoea or vomiting.
One parent or carer is allowed to stay with their child overnight in pull-down beds at the child's bedside.
We provide linen, towels and showering facilities. There is also a washing machine on the ward for your use.
For information about other places to stay, see accommodation.
We have a parents room in which parents can relax. It has its own tea and coffee making facilities and fridge in which you can store your own food. Please label it with your child’s name and bed number.
There is one play area with toys and activities. We also have a multi sensory room which is bookable.
There are two play specialists on the ward who will come and meet you during your stay.
We have TVs above all beds, which are free for children. These automatically switch off at 7pm.
All children who are well enough are expected to attend the hospital school (term time only).
- Breakfast: 8.15am – selection of cereals and toast
- Lunch: 12 noon – hot or cold selection
- Dinner: 5pm – hot or cold selection
We have a dining area on the ward where meals are served and children are encouraged to eat. Meals are provided only for patients and pregnant or breastfeeding mothers that are resident.
If your child has any food allergies or special dietary requirements please tell your nurse.
Water, squash drinks, milk, tea and coffee can be provided at any time from the kitchen.
At the start of each shift, you child will be allocated a nurse who will introduce themselves to you. This is generally the best person to ask if you need help, but please don’t hesitate to ask another member of staff for assistance.
The doctors involved in your child's care will see them every morning between 9.30am and 11am. This is a good time to ask questions.
Grand ward rounds, which involve many different staff members and can take up to three hours, take place on certain days of the week. The doctors will see you after this ward round.