Coronavirus (COVID-19)- updated information for visitors
We are restricting visitors to two parents or named carers. Only one may visit at any time.
Siblings, other family members and friends will not be allowed to visit, and we ask that they do not attend the hospital site. This will help us to minimise the number of people in the hospital and reduce the risk of spreading infection to keep you and your family safe.
There may be exceptional circumstances to this, which we will discuss with you on an individual basis.
Read our latest information on coronavirus.
Fourth floor, Evelina London Children’s Hospital.
Savannah ward is a 40 bed ward with three specialities:
Information for visitors
- Parents can visit their child at any time
- Visiting hours for all other visitors are 2-7pm. Please tell staff if you are expecting visitors while you are away or they will be refused entry.
- We have an afternoon quiet time from 1-2pm.
- Try to avoid visiting around mealtimes so children can eat uninterrupted.
- Visiting children must be supervised by an adult
- Please be quiet in the evenings
- Please switch your mobile phone to silent – if you need to use it, please do so in the parents’ room
- Always clean your hands with alcohol gel when you enter or leave the ward to reduce the risk of infection.
- If your child is having surgery, please see our information about having an operation.
One parent or carer is allowed to stay with their child overnight in pull-down beds at the child's bedside. For information about other places to stay, see accommodation.
Thanks to a donation from the Evelina Children's Heart Organisation (ECHO), we have a parents' only sitting room, where you can relax with a cup of tea, watch television or sit in peace and quiet away from the ward.
We also have a washing machine (although no dryer) and a kitchen for parents where you can prepare and store your own meals. Please remember to label any items you keep in the fridge with your name and date.
We have two play areas offering games and fun for children of all age groups. Play specialists are there to work with your child on the wards.
All children who are well enough are expected to attend the hospital school (term time only).
- Breakfast: 8am – selection of cereals and toast
- Lunch: 12 noon – hot or cold selection
- Dinner: 5pm – hot or cold selection
If your child has any food allergies or special dietary requirements please tell your nurse. All meat dishes are halal, and there's also a vegetarian option for meals.
Water, squash drinks, milk, tea and coffee can be provided at any time from the kitchen.
Meals are only provided for patients and pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.
Savannah has a kitchen and sitting room for parents where you can store and eat your own food. Make sure any food you leave in the parents' kitchen is labelled with your child's name and the date.
There are also a number of cafés and restaurants at Evelina London, neighbouring St Thomas' Hospital and in the local area. Find out more at cafés, shops and more.
At the start of each shift, you child will be allocated a nurse who will introduce themselves to you. This is generally the best person to ask if you need help, but please don’t hesitate to ask another member of staff for assistance.
The doctors involved in your child's care do a ward round every morning. This is a good time to ask questions.
Grand ward rounds involve many different staff members and take up to three hours.
The doctors will see you after this ward round.